[Paraview] Animating deforming geometry

Patrick Notz pknotz at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 28 13:37:18 EST 2005

Hi,

I have a simulation where I compute mesh displacements and solutions to
equations on the displaced mesh.  I can view the deformed mesh in ParaView
using the warp (vector) filter and that works fine for a single time step.
However, when I got to make an animation I can view the deformation in time.
If I select the data file as the source then I can animate on time steps but
that's the undeformed mesh.  If I select the Warp filter as the source then
I can only animate on the scale factor, not time steps.  Is there anyway to
do such an animation in ParaView?  Or do I have to apply the displacements
to the coordinate data before loading it into ParaView?

On a related note, I'm using the ExodusII data reader (which does not ship
with the standard ParaView distribution).  This reader has a boolean option
called "Apply Displacements" but there's no documentation about what that's
supposed to do. Anyone familiar with that?

Thanks ~ Pat