[Paraview] slicing a large VTK_POLYHEDRON

Pierre Van Hauwaert pierre at rtech-engineering.nl
Tue Jan 3 10:10:27 EST 2017

Hi,

I am using paraview to visualise my data. I generate my data using a
combination of the 2 following types
(http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/vtkCellType_8h_source.html)
VTK_VOXEL
<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/vtkCellType_8h.html#ab1d6fd1f3177b8a2a32bb018807151f8a06a70888292dc4309e42404af594fbb4>=
11
VTK_POLYHEDRON = 42 I can visualize that data with parview without a
problem. But, because I ended up having a segfault without any error
message when slicing (Z=0) the data. I decomposed my data in separate
files for each VTK_POLYHEDRON in order to investigate the problem.

I found out that only the polyhedrons with the largest size were having
the problem. The limit is somewhere between the 2 files:
- poly-F1000-2395.vtu : working: 466 points, 928 faces
- poly-F1000-2987.vtu : segfault when slicing: 546 points, 1088 faces

So my guess is that there is a limit for the number of points or the
number of faces that can have the polyhedron (1024 ?) if I want to be
able to use the slice function.

My questions are :
1) Is there actually a limitation in Paraview (VTK?) regarding the
number of faces or the number of the point that the slice function can
handle for a polyhedron ?
2) If there is this limitation, is there an option to remove it in
Paraview ? (specific version, compilation option, etc)
3) If there is this limitation, is there any work around that exist so I
am able to slice my data ? For example a different format ?

I attached the data to be able to back up my statement:

poly-F1000-*.vtu : files describing a polyhedron each:
poly-F1000.pvd : load all those files

Biggest file for which the slicing works (size, name):
34K poly-F1000-2395.vtu

The 8 biggest files triggering the crash when doing a slice: (size, name)
38K poly-F1000-2987.vtu
39K poly-F1000-2983.vtu
39K poly-F1000-2935.vtu
39K poly-F1000-2988.vtu
39K poly-F1000-2931.vtu
40K poly-F1000-2937.vtu
40K poly-F1000-2981.vtu
40K poly-F1000-2930.vtu
fail.pvd: load those 8 files

the other files can be sliced without any issues

Thanks,

Pierre

--
R.Tech Engineering B.V.
Eekholt 42 - 1112 XH Diemen - the Netherlands