[Paraview] Xdmf with constant Topology with TopologyConstant="True"?

Claudio Findeisen findeisen at mechanik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jan 11 09:52:39 EST 2013

Hello dear Paraview developer and user,

I am using paraview to postprocess my simulations with the Xdmf file format. This is working fine and I am loving the features of paraview. But I experienced a problem that is the following:

I am having really huge amount of data which are made of polygons. The topology stays constant over all the timesteps, and only the geometry (the position of the Polygons) and the attributes are changing. Look the attched files for an small working example. The Topology is written once to the "polygonmain.xmf" file and is referenced for every timestep in the "polygondata.xmf".

If i want to animate this in paraview it is working fine for small amount of data, but it is getting slow for huge amount. I thing one problem is, that paraview reads and calculates? the topology in every timestep, since we only refer to the position of the Topology (with the <Topology Reference="/Xdmf/..."). Is that right or does paraview recognize that the topology has not changed?

If not is there a way to tell paraview not to load the topology again and again? I read something about an attribute called "TopologyConstant" in an earlier request. look here:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aparaview+topologyconstant#query:list%3Aparaview%20topologyconstant+page:1+mid:xshzra4igf3mqu2j+state:results

This seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Problem here is, I do not get a working example with the "TopologyConstant" attribute. Maybe one of you can send me one or tell me how to use the "TopologyConstant".

Thanks a lot and kind Regards
Claudio