[Paraview] Controlling RenderView using Wiimote and VRPlugin

Nikhil Shetty nikhil.shetty at kitware.com
Thu Feb 28 17:11:38 EST 2013

Hi Bueter,

You will first have to figure out how to set a VRPN server and WiiMote
working for wiimote Joystick (I'm guessing its the four buttons in front
for left,right,top,bottom).  Here is tutorial that may help you.
http://www.vrgeeks.org/vrpn/tutorial---use-vrpn. It dont think it uses the
buttons but you can tweak the example to write one for them.

Once you have the VRPN server ready then connecting them to PV should be a
matter easy. The last I checked I dont think the VRPlugin has any
interaction styles handling button input. However this may have changed in
the recent months.  If it has not then you will have to write a new
interactor style to handle this.

-Nikhil

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Bueter, Travis J. (S&T-Student) <
tjbxv7 at mail.mst.edu> wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am currently trying to create a way of controlling the camera in
> ParaView using the Joystick of a Wiimote (WiiC library). I had previously
> attempted this by using Pat Marion’s socket plugin to send camera changes
> through the python shell but ran into a problem with sending too many
> Render() commands. It was suggested to me by Pat Marion and the Kitware
> employees I met at SuperComputing 2012 to use the VRPlugin to accomplish
> this. So after a 3 month hiatus from my project, I have finally gotten back
> to it but am currently lost in documentation. I have no idea where to begin
> with writing the code for a custom device and then connecting to and
> writing the camera changes to the VRPN server for ParaView. If someone
> could point me in the right direction of documentation that explains how to
> create a custom device/interaction for the VRPlugin/VRPN or some examples
> of such user created applications I would greatly appreciate it! ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> ** **
>
> *Travis J. Bueter*
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------****
>
> *Missouri University of Science and Technology - Junior*
>
> B.S. Computer Engineering/Computer Science****
>
> tjbxv7 at mail.mst.edu****
>
> (573)-238-5843****
>
> ** **