[Paraview] About 3D surface mesh and contour plotting

Nikolaos Beratlis nikos.beratlis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:19:14 EST 2013

Hi,

I have an STL file of a sphere containing a 3D surface mesh of triangles. I
also have the pressure at the vertex of each triangle. I would like plot
contours of the pressure on the sphere.

In Tecplot I used to have two Tecplot formatted files, one of "grid" type
(similar to a STL file) and one of "solution" type which contained the
value of the pressure on the vertices of the triangles. Once I read those
two separate files into Tecplot I could easily plot contours. I attach two
images illustrating the situation. The first image shows the triangular
surface mesh on the sphere. The second image shows contours of the pressure
on the surface of the sphere. The value of the pressure is located at the
vertices of the triangles.

In Paraview however I have problems reading the Tecplot files, I looked
online and it seems Paraview has issues reading Tecplot formatted files. I
was wondering how could I do the same thing in Paraview? Basically I would
like to have one file that contains the geometry of the 3D surface mesh and
another file that contains values of a scalar quantity defined at the
vertices of the triangles. I could use STL for example, but STL only shows
me the geometry, it doesn't allow for the solution (such as pressure, skin
friction) to be read. Have anyone done this before?

Thank you,

Nikos