[Paraview] Scope of effort

Chris Fisichella chris at communityrenewables.com
Sat Feb 23 04:36:01 EST 2013

I am hoping the members of this list will be able to help me see the amount of work that needs to be done.I am becoming a big fan of OpenFOAM, but the boundary condition selection for arbitrary geometries is lacking in my estimation. OpenFOAM introduced me to ParaView and I am wondering if it would be a perfect tool to specify the surfaces to which fluid boundary conditions should be applied.

I see an example called VTK/Rendering/Testing/Cxx/TestAreaSelections.cxx What do I need to do to get that example running? I am looking around the build directory and don't see an executable, but I do see the CMakeLists.txt file. For what I need to do, it would be sufficient to have an .obj model displayed in ParaView. Ideally, I would adapt this code to give me surface points.

What would be involved in making this happen? I assume I'll be running gcc. Do I need to make it be part of a plug-in? I'm a little confused as to where "TestAreaSelections" interfaces with ParaView.

Thanks,Chris