[Paraview] 2d dataset, can i use paraview to interpolate values on x, y surface?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 15 05:50:32 EST 2013

On 02/14/2013 05:57 PM, Ben Harrison wrote:
> I have been trying to see if I can use paraview to do some analysis
> and plotting of a 2d dataset exported in csv format.

I believe csv files are imported as a sort of spreadsheet table.

Use the "Table To Points" filter to convert them to points. My
version even has a 2d option.

> I just want to know if paraview is the right choice (or even a decent
> choice) to do some basic visualisation of the data. I have a set of
> x,y points with about 6 attributes. for example, one field/attribute
> is temperature, another is heat flow in x direction, another heat flow
> in y direction.
>
> I am failing to understand how to create for example a 'surface' or
> contour plot of the temperature, or an 'arrow plot' of the 2d heat
> flow.

Are your points triangulated? That is do they have connectivity
information already, or are they just points with associated
data? Without connectivity information ParaView does not know
which points to interpolate between. The Delaunay2d filter will
add a very reasonable triangulation of your date.

Paraview will then display the data as a surface.

Because the csv reader does not know that let's say columns 3 and
four form a vector : Use the Calculator to combine fields into a
vector Field "3*iHat + Field 4 * jHat" should do it.

Use the Glyph filter to display vectors.

> My efforts are also frustrated by regular but inconsistent
> segmentation faults when I try to 'apply' filters.
>
> Ubuntu Linux x86_64
> paraview 3.14.1 installed from repositories

I know inconsistent failures are very frustrating.

If you can figure out when they occur we can help figure out why
they occur and hopefully fix the problem.

Is your system fully updated?

Have you installed any software not from the repositories like
graphics drivers?

What graphics card do you have?

What graphics driver do you have?

Does Ubuntu have the equivalent of debuginfo packages? These
restore all the information that is useful only to developers to
the binaries and can make the output of a segfault _very_
informative.