[Paraview] 2d dataset, can i use paraview to interpolate values on x, y surface?

Ben Harrison ben.harrison at liquidmesh.com
Thu Feb 14 17:57:34 EST 2013

I have been trying to see if I can use paraview to do some analysis
and plotting of a 2d dataset exported in csv format.
I just want to know if paraview is the right choice (or even a decent
choice) to do some basic visualisation of the data. I have a set of
x,y points with about 6 attributes. for example, one field/attribute
is temperature, another is heat flow in x direction, another heat flow
in y direction.

I am failing to understand how to create for example a 'surface' or
contour plot of the temperature, or an 'arrow plot' of the 2d heat
flow.

My efforts are also frustrated by regular but inconsistent
segmentation faults when I try to 'apply' filters.

Ubuntu Linux x86_64
paraview 3.14.1 installed from repositories