[Paraview] Postprocessing ANSYS file by Paraview

Yuan CHEN ychen48 at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 11:59:23 EST 2013

Dear all friends

I am really green to the usage of Paraview.

I have been using the ANSYS for large scale FE analysis. Recently I node
that the paraview has the ability of view and postprocess the large .rst
file and it has already added the ANSYS file reader function.

However, I get limited information on how to do this.

According to the menu, I will have to create a Cmakelist.txt file like :

PROJECT(VisItReaderExample)

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

FIND_PACKAGE(ParaView REQUIRED)
INCLUDE(${PARAVIEW_USE_FILE})

SET(SOURCES
 avtMyReaderFileFormat.C
 )

ADD_VISIT_PLUGIN_READER(VisItReaderExample "1.0"
  VISIT_READER_NAME "avtMyReaderFileFormat"
  VISIT_READER_TYPE "STMD"
  VISIT_READER_FILE_PATTERN "cas"
  SERVER_SOURCES ${SOURCES}
  )

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(VisItReaderExample vtkVisItAVTAlgorithms)

where avtMyReaderFileFormat.cxx is the source of the VisIt reader,
VISIT_READER_NAME is the name of the class inside the source file,
VISIT_READER_TYPE is the type of file format the reader is, and the
VISIT_READER_FILE_PATTERN is a space delimitated string of file extensions
that the reader supports. But I still dont get how I could change the the
file and how to import it into Paraview and then view my ANSYS file.

Say, the result file I will observe from ANSYS will be a .rst file , so
would this file be :

PROJECT(VisItReaderExample)

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

FIND_PACKAGE(ParaView REQUIRED)
INCLUDE(${PARAVIEW_USE_FILE})

SET(SOURCES
 ANSYS.C
 )

ADD_VISIT_PLUGIN_READER(VisItReaderExample "1.0"
  VISIT_READER_NAME "ANSYS"
  VISIT_READER_TYPE "Binary"
  VISIT_READER_FILE_PATTERN "rst"
  SERVER_SOURCES ${SOURCES}
  )

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(VisItReaderExample vtkVisItAVTAlgorithms)

Could anybody give me a right format of the Cmakelist of ANSYS reader and ,
if possible , enlighten me how.

Many thanks

Best

Yuan Chen

University of Sheffield

Yuan Chen
PhD student of Mechanical Engineering
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Sheffield
Mapping Street
SHEFFIELD S1 3JD
United Kingdom