[Paraview] ParaView VTK Legacy File Questions

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Feb 5 10:26:32 EST 2013

The only comment in a vtk legacy file is allowed on the second line of the file and must be 255 chars or less.

As for the vectors, if you are creating POINT_DATA then you MUST include data for each of the points, whether or not you actually have any data there to represent.

 You may have to write 3 sets of POINT_DATA, one for each of Tangent, Binormal and Normal. You might be able to put a (0,0,0) as the vector to basically not have it show up but I am not sure if that would work or not.

Try this:

# vtk DataFile Version 1.0
3D Crack Modeling
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA

POINTS 4 float
0.0 0.0 5.0
1.0 0.0 5.0
0.0 1.0 5.0
1.0 1.0 5.0

POLYGONS 2 8
3 0 1 2
3 1 3 2

LINES 2 6
2 0 1
2 2 3

POINT_DATA 4
SCALARS node_numbering int 1
LOOKUP_TABLE default
0
2
4
6

VECTORS Binormal float
0 1 0
0 1 0
0 0 0
0 1 0

VECTORS Tangent float
0 0 1
0 0 1
0 0 0
0 0 1

VECTORS Normal float
1 0 0
1 0 0
0 0 0
1 0 0

CELL_DATA 4
SCALARS cell_numbering int 1
LOOKUP_TABLE default
-1
-1
0
2

Then use the Glyph Filter to display the vectors as arrows.
Mike Jackson                    Principal Software Engineer
BlueQuartz Software                            Dayton, Ohio
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net              www.bluequartz.net