[Paraview] writing volume to stl as topology

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Apr 16 00:56:36 EDT 2013

Hi Dmitry,

> I have a tetrahedral mesh in vtk unstructured grid. How can I write this volume to stl (not just the surface) like a set of separated triangles? Paraview display my data as a surface. Here is some screenshots of my model and clipped model. My goal is just to handle this topology and then print it by 3D printer.

The STL format only accepts triangles, not tetrahedra or other volumetric elements. Your 3D printer software will infer what regions are inside and outside the surface as long as the surface is manifold (i.e., a closed, orientable surface that is watertight). If you have a model that is not watertight, you can try using ParaView's "Clean" filter to fix it.

	David