[Paraview] big black dot highlighting current time in PlotSelectionOverTime?

Fred Nugen noojon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:18:50 EDT 2012

I visualize deformation of 3D hexahedral meshes. I frequently select a node of the mesh and use PlotSelectionOverTime to visualize internal variables such as stress and strain in a 2D plot. Particularly, I plot stress-strain curves: x-axis is strain, y-axis is stress.

I would like to have a big black dot indicating the (x,y) coordinates of the stress/strain values at the current time. I would like to be able to see the dot in the "normal" viewing mode, as well as during an animation--hitting "play" or creating an animation.

The ideal case would be to have side-by-side plots (one 3D plot of my mesh and one 2D PlotSelectionOverTime plot) where I can simultaneously view the deformation of the mesh and the black dot moving along the stress/strain curve showing the stress and strain at the current time.