[Paraview] Building Paraview from source

Hodge, Neil E. hodge3 at llnl.gov
Tue Sep 18 13:17:40 EDT 2012

David:

-----Original Message-----
From: David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
Date: Monday, September 17, 2012 2:15 PM
To: Neil Hodge <hodge3 at llnl.gov>
Cc: "paraview at paraview.org" <paraview at paraview.org>
Subject: Re: [Paraview] Building Paraview from source

>Are you compiling on a lustre file system? That can significantly slow
>the compilation since the parallel filesystem is optimized for write
>throughput of large files. On ORNL jaguar in the NFS mounted
>directories it takes 10 minutes or so to compile. Compiling on the
>lustre mounted directories takes an hour or more. (10% per hour is a
>bit worse than what I've ever seen on the older trilab computers so it
>may be something else). I get around this by compiling from the fast
>filesystem and copying the result to the lustre partition where the
>back end nodes can see it.
>
>Try "module unload altd". This is a profiling library that some of the
>big machines use recenty that does not like "make -j anything". Once
>that is removed you can make -j to your hearts content.

No, I was not on the Lustre filesystem.  Regardless, I moved everything to
my home directory.  This did not help the speed issue much.

Removing the kernel module did reduce the dependency problems somewhat,
but not completely.

FYI, the essence of my build script follows:

cmake ../ParaView-3.14.1-Source \
    -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=icc -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=icpc \
    -DCMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER=ifort \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=$HOME/PARAVIEW \
    -DHDF5_INCLUDE_DIR=$HOME/HDF5/include \
    -DHDF5_LIBRARY=$HOME/HDF5/lib/libhdf5.so \
    -DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON=ON
make -j 4
make install

However, after a bit of experimentation, I see that when I remove the line

-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=icc -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=icpc

i.e., when I use the gnu compilers, the build seems to proceed at a rate
that indicates a total build time of maybe 30 minutes or so.

So, the question is, are you aware of any problems with using the intel
compilers to build paraview???  Thanks.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil Hodge, Ph.D.