[Paraview] Building Paraview from source

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Sep 17 17:15:54 EDT 2012

Are you compiling on a lustre file system? That can significantly slow
the compilation since the parallel filesystem is optimized for write
throughput of large files. On ORNL jaguar in the NFS mounted
directories it takes 10 minutes or so to compile. Compiling on the
lustre mounted directories takes an hour or more. (10% per hour is a
bit worse than what I've ever seen on the older trilab computers so it
may be something else). I get around this by compiling from the fast
filesystem and copying the result to the lustre partition where the
back end nodes can see it.

Try "module unload altd". This is a profiling library that some of the
big machines use recenty that does not like "make -j anything". Once
that is removed you can make -j to your hearts content.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive