[Paraview] selected points change when clip plane changes

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Sep 14 08:11:42 EDT 2012

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Zenker, Dr. Matthias
<Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thank you for the hint, but it doesn't seem to do what I want.
> My workflow was:
> 1. Display 3D geometry, color by temperature
> 2. Apply clip filter
> 3. Select some points
> 4. Apply extract selection filter

This should copy your selected points into a new object.
Nothing with you do with the clip filter should alter it.

> 5. Change position of plane of clip filter
> Result: After step 5, the points are at totally different locations.
> Does ParaView renumber the points when the clip filter is applied? IMHO it shouldn't...

Yes every vtk filter creates a new object when the filter's parameters
change. Especially when the topology changes (consider the extreme
case of clipping away everything), there is no guarantee of
correspondence between indexes in the old and new result. That is why
the active surface selection, which picks out individual cells/points
by index, will change.