[Paraview] Debugging reverse connections

Renato Elias rnelias at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 09:34:11 EDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I'd like to understand what is happening with a client-server connection
I'm trying to create in PV-3.14.1.

pvserver is running on a SGI Altix ICE compiled with OpenMPI 1.6 and Mesa
library for offscreen rendering. Everything run smoothly from the
compilation and installation but when I try to connect with a client (same
version), they can't get connected. The machine runs Torque batch system
but I certified that pvserver was running after the client. Tests I've done
to remove some common problems.

1). Client and server in the same network

case a). Server running in the computing nodes under Torque batch system.
Nothing happens. pvserver just sits with the following message:

Connecting to client (reverse connection requested)...
Connection URL: csrc://my.client.local.ip:11111

case b). Server running in the fron-end interactively (launched from
command line). It would remove problems due to batch system and NAT not
running in the computing nodes but the same message posted before appears
and nothing happens.

In both cases I also did tests with client's firewall turned off with
similar result (nothing happens)

2). Client running remotely.

Same behavior mentioned before.

The question is: Is there a "verbose mode reverse connection" that could
help me understand what is happening?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

--
Renato N. Elias
Professor, at Department of Civil Engineering