[Paraview] auto generated line edits in the display panel

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 21:21:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm finding it at times problematic when making changes to line edits in
the auto generated display properties panel, that the individual parts
of the change triggers a render. For example, if I were to change a
parameter from "1" to "0.005" there are 5 renders triggered (0, 0., 0.0,
0.00, 0.005). Of course it's no big deal when working locally with small
data but it can be problematic when rendering takes along time. In other
cases the intermediate values sent (eg the 4 values 0  to 0.00) are
invalid and the render produces either nothing or the incorrect results
until the final value is ready.

At the same time it seems that in other cases it's a desirable thing for
the auto-generated panels to respond immediately to changes for example
to make apply button green. So I'm wondering, would it be possible to
control this behavior with an xml attribute? for example by connecting
to one or the other of the editingFinished or texteEdited signals? Or
perhaps for the generation code to select which signal to connect to
depending on the context?

Since the properties panel is under development I thought it might be a
good time to suggest such a change (-:

Burlen