[Paraview] Is there any point to compiling with MPI but without offscreen rendering?

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Mon Oct 1 20:05:31 EDT 2012

We have large clusters and some of them have graphics cards on them.  Most don't.  So normally I expect to be using -DVTK_USE_OFFSCREEN:BOOL=ON   -DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI:BOOL=ON with cmake.
I got to thinking.  First, if I compile with -DVTK_USE_OFFSCREEN:BOOL=ON then why do I have to use --use-offscreen-rendering to launch the pvservers.  Secondly, can pvservers render to graphics cards for distributed rendering under MPI?  If so, does it make sense to do -DVTK_USE_OFFSCREEN:BOOL=OFF   -DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI:BOOL=ON ??

--
✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory