[Paraview] Oilflow - Surface flow

Richard GRENON richard.grenon at onera.fr
Thu Mar 29 09:58:35 EDT 2012

Hi Lorenzo.

The Stream Tracer works very well to follow a 3D streamline in a
volume, but I always got bad results to follow streamlines on a curved
surface. When you start from a point on a surface to follow a
streamline, the next point is found with a small step in the direction
of the tangent vector, but this new point is not on the surface if the
surface is curved. So the new point should be projected onto the surface
before proceeding to the next step. It seems that  the Streal Tracer
algorithm does not project correctly the new point at each step, so you
get only small pieces of streamlines, depending on the curvature of the
surface. The more the surface is curved, the more the Stream Tracer has
difficulties to remain on the surface when following the stream line.
The Stream Tracer gives good results on a surface only if the surface is
plane.

For me, the LIC plugin was a marvelous workaround for surface
streamlines, and for two reasons. First, it gives quickly pretty
pictures. Second, it gives at a glance the whole surface flow pattern,
so you can easily identify complex separated flow regions without having
to guess seed points as you would do with the the Stream Tracer. Now I
am always using the Stream Tracer for 3D streamlines in a volume and the
LIC plugin for surface flow patterns.

I don't understand why you say that LIC is "heavy" in Paraview ? Once
you have a surface vector in your data, you have only to change the
Representation from Surface to SurfaceLIC and the rendering is
immediate, and I think faster than computing streamlines. The only
drawback of LIC is that it depends on your graphic card, and it may not
work depending on the version of your driver.

Richard.

--
 Richard GRENON
 ONERA