[Paraview] Problems with unstructured mixed finite element mesh?

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Fri Jun 22 15:51:49 EDT 2012

The List,

I have come upon an eight-finite-element mixed element-type unstructured
mesh that upon loading immediately crashes PV. (The error message is
from Microsoft and the MS process gladly collects some form of datum
dump and forwards it to Microsoft after which PV disappears from sight.)
With or without the cell and point data the crash occurs.

PV: Version 3.14.1-64 (I have duplicated this behavior with 3.10.1-64 &
3.14.0-64)

O/S: Windows XP Professional x64 SP2

Datum Format: EnSight Gold binary

Experience: Using PV almost daily since PV 3.4 on medium (700,000 FE's)
to small (7 FE's) datum sets. I started VTK XML-formatted results files
and graduated to EnSight Gold binary formatted results files.

The printed output from the simulation code shows that the execution
completed and the numerical results are exactly what this test case was
intended to produce.

This datum set contains four 8-node hexahedrons, two 6-node pentahedrons
(aka triangular prisms or wedges), and two 7-polygon/8-vertex
polyhedrons. The hexah-penta, hexah-polyh combinations routinely load
and display.

The attached file set is a time=0.0 mesh used to check the mesh, BC
node-sets, BC side-sets, et cetera. The ens_checker.32/64 executable
programs I have are not compiles MS's Windows O/S. Can someone either
point me to a place where I get a Windows versions of ens_checker.exe or
let me know if these files pass?

Sam Key
FMA Development, LLC