[Paraview] Data saving in vtr format and compression

Zenker, Dr. Matthias Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.com
Thu Jul 26 05:42:39 EDT 2012

Hi,

I need to convert legacy vtk files to vtr files. The vtk files are in ASCII format and approx. 17 MB large. When I use binary or ASCII as data mode, I get a file size of approx. 28 MB. When I use appended data mode without encoding, it's 20 MB. When I use encoding with ZLib compressor (there is only this one), the shinks to approx. 800 kB! Also data access is a lot faster when I load that file in ParaView.
My questions:

1.      Why does the file grow for most of the modes I have tried?
2.       Is the ZLib  compression used in ParaView lossless, or do I lose information when I apply it?

Thanks for some explanations...

Matthias

ERBE Elektromedizin GmbH
Firmensitz: 72072 Tuebingen
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian O. Erbe, Reiner Thede
Registergericht: Stuttgart HRB 380137