[Paraview] VRPN Setup

Sean Delaney sdelaney at cp.dias.ie
Tue Jul 24 12:03:44 EDT 2012

Hi Aashish,

In my case, my tracker data is in mm but my chosen world coordinates are in
meters, so I transformed the tracking data to meters and I expect the eye
separation to be defined in meters too.

> It is. If you transform your tracker data, then you would have to
> > adjust your eye separation as well.

Ok, but this does not work for me. I have transformed my tracking data to
meters. If I define the eye separation to be "0.065", I can not see stereo
effects. If I use "65", I see the expected stereo effects. It seems like
Paraview requires the separation to be specified in mm, even though I have
transformed my tracking data (and everything else) to meters.

> Like I said ParaView has no notion of units. So  it really depends on
> the user to define a system and stick with it.

Agreed, I am trying to do this. I have defined my world coordinates in
meters. I have transformed my tracking data to meters. Yet Paraview still
requires the eye separation to be specified in mm. Why? This seems like a
mistake to me.

> No problem. Hope my explanation makes sense. Let me know if I miss
> something.

Thanks very much for the explanation and your time. It makes perfect sense.
Unfortunately this is not the behavior I see when I run Paraview with the
VR plugin. It seems like a bug to me, but perhaps this is what the
developers intended.

Seán