[Paraview] Question on Multiple Ports in Custom Reader (repost from developer list)

Peter Schmitt pschmittml at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:41:00 EDT 2012

Hi Josh,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Joshua Murphy
<Joshua.Murphy at lasp.colorado.edu> wrote:

> Here is a version of my generic reader that will build a non-time series
> version and a time series version. This way you can observe the behavior.
> A file is not read in the reader, but it generates sample data on its own...
> just select any txt file to test. (as noted in previous emails, the
> information objects are not provided properly to requestInformation and
> requestData when using the time series version)...

It seems that vtkFileSeriesReader does not support multiple output
ports.  Quoting Utkarsh from
http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2011-December/023494.html

> vtkFileSeriesReader cannot support multiple output ports. Number of
> output ports has to be defined in the constructor of a class. Since
> the internal reader to use is not set until much later,
> vtkFileSeriesReader cannot report but 1 output port in the construtor
> and that cannot be changed afterwords.
>
> Maybe you can try supclassing the vtkFileSeriesReader to add support
> for that, but I'm not sure how much effort would it be to support
> requests from multiple output ports. Alternatively, you may just want
> to implemented file-series support in your reader.

Does anyone have a good example of file-series support in a reader
other than vtkFileSeriesReader documented here
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series#Making_custom_readers_work_with_file_series
?

Cheers,
Pete