[Paraview] VRPN Setup

Sean Delaney sdelaneydias at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 06:35:37 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to use paraview's VRPN functionality for head tracking. I've
compiled Paraview 3.14.1 on linux (64) and I have one stereo screen. I'm
using a Windows tracking server with IOTracker hardware / software.

What works:
Stereoscopic rendering (I use the cube source as a test).
Independently of paraview, "vrpn_print_devices" can receive VRPN data.
(i.e. the tracking numbers change when I move the target)

What doesn't:
When I move the tracking target, nothing visibly happens in Paraview.
Expected result:
The viewing angle should change somehow then the tracking target moves. I
have not configured the geometry yet but I expect to see some change in the
display.

The build:
I compiled Paraview with the following enabled:
BUILD_SHARED_LIB, PARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI, PARAVIEW_USE_MPI
and PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_VRPlugin
I also enabled PARAVIEW_USE_VRPN and disabled PARAVIEW_USE_VRUI

Note: Initially, that build failed so I enabled both VRPN and VRUI. Later,
I wondered if this was causing problems, so I disabled VRUI again and
modified the source to make it compile. I just had to add a Queue member to
the pqInternals object inside the VRPN ifdef (copied from the VRUI ifdef).
Let me know if I should report that as a bug, or if I'm just wrong.

Running:
I saved a state file with the cube source. I modified the state file by
adding the lines below at the end, just before </Paraview>. Then I
restarted Paraview, loaded the VR plugin and loaded the modified state.

Note: I could not find a ViewManager section in the state file as I
expected from the howto. Also, I have not configured a pvserver to run a
"CAVE" type display, I am just using the default server (localhost). I plan
to configure the display geometry correctly once I know the tracking
"works", i.e. does something. Is this ok?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Seán

---------- Lines added to state file ----------

 <!-->
              VRPN  Connections
 </!-->
  <VRConnectionManager>
    <VRPNConnection name="iotracker" address="Email iotracker at 192.168.20.9">
      <Tracker id="1" name="head"/>
    </VRPNConnection>
 </VRConnectionManager>
 <!-->
        Interactor Style
 </!-->
  <VRInteractorStyles>
    <Style class="vtkVRStyleTracking" set_property="RenderView1.HeadPose">
      <Tracker name="iotracker.head"/>
    </Style>
  </VRInteractorStyles>
  </ServerManagerState>