[Paraview] time series not working with xyz or lammps-dump reader && presenting millions of atoms by "spheres"

LUO Jian laurenjasonbh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:57:39 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am new to this extremely powerful visualization tool and I use the 3.14
version of paraview binary on windows 7 . Both binary and compiled one on
linux.
I could not get the following 2 things to work for me.

1. The xyz and lammps-dump reader comes along with the binary, but I do not
see them in the compiled one, why?
    Then with the binary, I try to load up multi-block xyz or lammps-dump
files, I can only get the first frame. I check "Information" tab on the
left, the "Index" and "Value" of Time is blank. So there is something
wrong. Both the xyz and lammps-dump files are produced by lammps and can be
recognized by other visualization software. So I think I need to do
something about the readers. So can someone tell me how to get this done?
   Eventually, I want to be able to add whatever readers in paraview by
myself so that I can stop converting hundreds of gigabytes of data from one
format to another.  First, I want to find the xyz and lammps-dump readers
within the source code and try to understand and tweak them. Then I can
follow the more comprehensive manual to do more things. I just could not
find them in the source folder, can someone point them to me?

2. For publication purpose, I want to render the points as spheres without
"masking points". I tried the "sphere" option in "glyph" filter. It worked
pretty well when the number of "spheres" were limited to 5000. But when I
tried to represent a million atoms with spheres, paraview won't be
responding for a long time and I have to kill the process. So I wondering
if there is a way that I can present millions of atoms with "sphere" in
paraview more efficiently ?

Thanks for your attention

Best,
Jian