[Paraview] New Paraview-based application "RVA" for petroleum-geologists

RVA Developer rvadeveloper at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:16:21 EST 2012

Hi Paraview developers and users,

We'd like to announce a new open-sourced Paraview-based app "RVA" that
we've built and released.
It's focus is to support petro-geologists interested in advanced
visualization for enhanced recovery and CO2 sequestration. Out 1990's-style
website is...

http://rva.cs.illinois.edu/
(Please email me if you're a petroleum-geologist interested in what we're
doing, or interested in our source code!)

Our code supports importing two new model formats -
 ISATIS geological information a (2D and 3D objects) and,
 UTChem chemical simulations (multi-phase temporal physical and chemical
volumetric data).

We're also working on...
A streamline clustering filter.
Streamline animation (has anyone cracked this one already and interested in
sharing some code?)
- We're thinking of creating a filter that takes vtkPolyData static data
but spits out time-dependent (filtered) data.

Some quick questions for the Paraview developers -
The most annoying bug for us is the crashbug in PV3.12.0 whenever Volume
rendering is selected.
It's probably this -
http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=12842
I have a simple vtk file (image data) with a single scalar field that
reproduces the problem.
---> I'd like to email this to you if possible. (Steps to reproduce: Load
data. Select "Volume Rendering")

* Any chance that this bug can be fixed in the next stable release?

* Can you suggest an easy change to the Paraview source so that "Volume"
rendering is not even offered?
(It wasn't obvious to me when we searched for "Volume" in the source code)

* We'd like newly loaded objects to be rendered using Surface Rendering
using the first scalar array as the color map. Any hints on how this might
be accomplished?

Thanks for your time.  Best,
Lawrence.