[Paraview] using numpy/scipy methods in Paraview python script

FISSELL at pitt.edu FISSELL at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 11 11:58:54 EST 2012

Hi,

I am trying to use numpy/scipy methods in Paraview python shell and
programmable filter.   I'm using paraview 3.12.0 on a Linux x86_64 platform.
 I'd like to use a lot more than the dataset_adapter module
which is shown in examples in Paraview wiki.
What is the best way to do this ?

To get scipy and a number of other modules I'd like, I took the Enthought
academic EPD
distribution and compiled paraview to use the Enthought install of python2.7.
When I run numpy.test() in Paraview python shell it freezes when
it reaches line
test_divide (test_errstate.TestErrstate)

numpy.test(verbose=10)
test_einsum_views (test_einsum.testEinSum) ... ok
test_divide (test_errstate.TestErrstate)
<freeze>

The paraview windows white out and I have to use X11 window destroy icon to
kill the windows and restart.

Some numpy stuff works, eg I can do numpy.round(3.45).

I know paraview binary distribution has numpy, but I cannot run numpy.test()
with that b/c it is missing nose.
I tried using the paraview binary distribution with its default python, and
tried adding Enthought site-package stuff at the end of  python sys.path
to access scipy but also just got paraview window freezes.

thanks
kate