[Paraview] crash when computing distributed streamlines with threshold

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Fri Jan 6 12:18:42 EST 2012

Hello all

I have been fighting all afternoon with a crash, which I can now avoid, or replicate on demand. Here is the scenario, a simple pipeline to do streamlines,  runing with 16 pvservers, so everything is parallel. (version 3.12)

XDMF reader -> vector field "omega" is read
Calculator -> mag(omega)
Threshold -> outputs points where mag(omega) > 125
MaskPoints
Streamline from source with (Xdmf reader + MaskPoints)
==> memory blows up until is crashes.

However, I can re-use the same pipeline, save the output of Threshold to a parallel *vtu file, reload the file, and use that (instead of threshold) as input to MaskPoints. And my streamlines compute successfully. So the pipeline which does not crash is the following, with the intermediate saving/reloading data to disk:

XDMF reader -> vector field "omega" is read
Calculator -> mag(omega)
Threshold -> outputs points where mag(omega) > 125
   Save Data to a disk file
   Reload the Saved Data
MaskPoints
Streamline from source with (Xdmf reader + MaskPoints)

is anyone aware of a problem involving the afore-mentioned filters?