[Paraview] Crash on vtr file load

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Feb 7 08:05:04 EST 2012

The data may just be too large for your machine (especially when Clip
produces unstructured grids from your input rectilinear grid data).

Are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of windows XP and how much RAM
does your machine have?  What does View->Statistics inspector (or
alternatively the information tab) say about the memory size, number
of cells and number of arrays in this data set?

If you are exceeding memory, the solution is either to:
1) try more memory thrifty filter alternatives such as Slice or
Extract Subset rather than Clip (see the Best Practices section of the
user guide).
2) connect the client to a parallel paraview server and load the data there.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive