[Paraview] How to Rename Blocks in Exodus File

D Conklin dconklin at neo.rr.com
Tue Dec 11 22:00:28 EST 2012

Hello, newby to both Paraview and Python here, so be gentle.

I would like to rename the Exodus blocks to useful names, in a macro
script, reading the names from a file.

As sexy as
"Unnamed Block ID: 1 Type: Hex"  is,

I'd much rather have:
"Tread ID: 1 Type: Hex" or something else in the problem domain for the
benefit of the user

so using src=ExodusIIReader

I can use SetData on src.ElementBlocks and change that - which
accomplishes nothing except de-activating all my blocks

However,  I need to change src.ElementBlocks.Available and I can't
figure out how to do that as there is no SetData and nothing else I
tried works

Thanks for any help.

Dennis