[Paraview] Problems with visibility of 3D Widgets when switching between views

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Wed Aug 29 09:40:11 EDT 2012

Sebastien may have some insight here since they do something similar
for the WebGL exporter. He's on vacation this week, but I can ping him
once he gets back.

Utkarsh

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Nenad Vujicic <nenadus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Utkarsh,
>
> Thank You very much for Your response.
>
> It checks actor's visibility at vtkVRMLExporter.cxx Ln 262, but actors
> are visible because of some reasons. I'm sorry, looks like the problem
> is much deeper. I tried even by playing from pvpython by executing:
>
> active_objects.source.SMProxy.InvokeEvent('UserEvent', 'ShowWidget')
> active_objects.source.SMProxy.InvokeEvent('UserEvent', 'HideWidget')
>
> but it didn't work. I also experimented by counting number of actors
> in interactive renderer object. After switching between views, it
> contains ~13 actors, while after manually turning on and off widget's
> visibility in Display panel it has ~9 (in this state exporter exports
> correct scene - without 3d widgets). So, only way to "refresh" data in
> current view is to manually turn ON and after it to turn OFF check box
> on Display panel, which controls widget's visibility.
>
> Btw, I have much more sophisticated exporter plugin and in which I
> have the same problem. It works in similar way as VRMLExporter, so I
> reported this with VRMLExporter test-case.
>
> Thanks,
> Nenad.
>

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit
> <utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Nenad,
>>
>> vtkVRMLExporter will be the starting point where I'd start digging in.
>> I am guessing somewhere where it iterates over all actors it's not
>> checking for visibility of 3D widgets or something.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Nenad Vujicic <nenadus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> I have problems with visibility of 3D widgets when I have several
>>> views opened in one ParaView Qt client and I switch between them. I
>>> experience this behavior on both Windows and Linux. Here is how to
>>> reproduce it:
>>>
>>> 0) Start ParaView Qt client,
>>> 1) Create Sphere source and press Apply button,
>>> 2) Create Slice filter, turn off Show Plane option and press Apply button,
>>> 3) Create new layout item by pushing '+' and select Spreadsheet View,
>>> 4) Go on Render View by pressing Layout 1 item,
>>> 5) Export 3D scene from currently active render view to VRML file
>>> (File->Export),
>>> 6) Reopen ParaView Qt client and load previously exported VRML file.
>>>
>>> Looks like VRML exporter exports 3D widget's geometry and topology
>>> too, although its turned off. This also occurs with other sources /
>>> filters with 3D widgets (PointSource, Clip, etc.).
>>>
>>> Can someone suggest how I could fix this bug, by changing exporter's
>>> or ParaView's sources, or at least approximate place in sources where
>>> I could take a look for a bug?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nenad.