[Paraview] Xdmf Polyvertex, Only First Half Visible

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Tue Aug 21 17:19:27 EDT 2012


I loaded the testTwoFile.xdmf in ParaView 3.14.1. I counted 8 points
in the surface and points representations. Upon applying a Glyph
filter to the data set, I see all 15 points.

I've seen similar problems when loading point data from Xdmf files.
Perhaps there is a bug in how the surface and points representations
renders point data?

Interestingly, if you apply a Mask Points filter to your file data,
set the On Ratio to 1 and check the "Generate Vertices" option, you
will see all 15 points in the points and surface representations.

I know this doesn't answer your question about why only some of your
points are displayed, but hopefully I've presented some workarounds.


On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM, David Zemon <david.zemon at mst.edu> wrote:
> Summary
> I'm creating a translator from CSV to Xdmf. My Xdmf file points to binary
> files with the heavy data. When I open the file in ParaView, only the first
> half of my data is visible.
> Question
> Why am I only seeing half of the data?
> Details
> Dataset
> The first 3 lines of my dataset look like this. Columns 1-3 are XYZ, column
> 4 is an attribute. I have two files with the same format, the first 3
> columns of both files hold identical values, the 4th column different. This
> gives me 5 columns: 3 for XYZ, and 1 for each of 2 attributes. Each file is
> 125,000 rows (making a cube that is 50x50x50).
>           0.80000000          0.80000000          3.14154793
> -34815.54578017
>           0.80000000          0.80000000          2.89352122
> -34815.61573156
>           0.80000000          0.80000000          2.78985515
> -34815.59134643
> Translator
> Python is my language of choice and the Xdmf file is written by hand, not
> the Xdmf python library. I read a single line from both files, split those
> lines into lists, assign each field to a dictionary {"X": [0.8000000], "Y":
> ...., "Energy1": [-34815.54578017], "Energy2": [-34962.99394561]}. I then
> loop through the dictionary and write the fields to their appropriate files,
> erasing the dictionary as I go, and increment a row counter. When both files
> are done, I create the topology file based on the row counter. When all
> binary files are written, I write the Xdmf file.
> Debugging Efforts
> In the "Information" tab of ParaView, under "Statistics", "Data Arrays", and
> "Bounds" I see all of the correct information. It shows the expected number
> of cells and the correct ranges for all 5 columns. If I turn on "Show cube
> axes" in "Display", the axes extend to the full range of the data, not just
> the half that is shown.
> In a small, 15 row sample, I tried printing to the screen every piece of
> information before writing to the files. The screen shows every valid field
> of all 15 rows in both files.
> Attachment
> I've attached the output files from a small sample set (15 rows in each
> file) - one Xdmf and 4 binary files (geometry, topology, attribute 1 and 2),
> and 2 CSV files (two 15 row datasets).
> _______________________________________________
> Powered by www.kitware.com
> Visit other Kitware open-source projects at
> http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
> Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
> http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView
> Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
> http://www.paraview.org/mailman/listinfo/paraview

Cory Quammen
Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

More information about the ParaView mailing list