[Paraview] MPI Socket in use

Adam Dershowitz adershowitz at exponent.com
Mon Apr 16 20:10:10 EDT 2012

I just built paraview on an opensuse linux box.  When I use the GUI, and a single connection it seems to work fine.  But, if I try to use multiple CPUs, or run with mpi, it fails.
I do have OpenMPI installed.
When I first started getting the error, I googled around some and found that maybe "make install" would help (I had been running it just in the build directory).  But I am getting the same error after installing.  I also added my openmpi libraries to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (when I first tried to run it I had other errors about a shared library).

I did build with PARAVIEW_USE_MPI set to on.  It looks as though one pvserver will run, but any additional ones finds a port in use.  Clearly something is not right about how MPI is being handled, but I am not sure how to fix it.

If I try mpirun, here is error I get:

mpiexec -np 3  pvserver
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://cfd:11111
Accepting connection(s): cfd:11111
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://cfd:11111
ERROR: In /home/dersh/projects/ParaView-3.14.1-Source/VTK/Common/vtkSocket.cxx, line 206
vtkServerSocket (0xebd970): Socket error in call to bind. Address already in use.

ERROR: In /home/dersh/projects/ParaView-3.14.1-Source/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 343
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x661800): Failed to set up server socket.

Exiting...
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://cfd:11111
ERROR: In /home/dersh/projects/ParaView-3.14.1-Source/VTK/Common/vtkSocket.cxx, line 206
vtkServerSocket (0xebd970): Socket error in call to bind. Address already in use.

ERROR: In /home/dersh/projects/ParaView-3.14.1-Source/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 343
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x661800): Failed to set up server socket.

Exiting...
It seems that [at least] one of the processes that was started with
mpirun did not invoke MPI_INIT before quitting (it is possible that
more than one process did not invoke MPI_INIT -- mpirun was only
notified of the first one, which was on node n0).

mpirun can *only* be used with MPI programs (i.e., programs that
invoke MPI_INIT and MPI_FINALIZE).  You can use the "lamexec" program
to run non-MPI programs over the lambooted nodes.
mpirun failed with exit status 252

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

--Adam