[Paraview] paraview not running!!!

Pierre Chevalier Géologue pierrechevaliergeol at free.fr
Fri Sep 30 03:45:06 EDT 2011

Hello, Naveen,

Le 30/09/2011 06:55, naveen kumar claviota:
> Dear P C Géologue,

"Pierre" will be enough! ;)

> i tried the yum option. this is what i got on screen
> is it yum searches for the package in internet or on the local sys.

yum, just like apt-get, gets the packages from internet, and installs
them on your system.

> i never used yum. could you plz help me.

To get the documentation of yum, do:
     man yum

I am not too familiar with yum, so believe what the documentation says,
rather than my advice...

> [root at localhost bin]# yum install paraview
> Loaded plugins: aliases, allowdowngrade, changelog, downloadonly,
> fastestmirror, filter-data, kernel-module, kmod, list-data,
>               : merge-conf, priorities, protect-packages, protectbase,
> refresh-updatesd, tsflags, upgrade-helper, versionlock
>  * epel: ftp.cuhk.edu.hk <http://ftp.cuhk.edu.hk>
>  * sl-base: ftp1.scientificlinux.org <http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org>
>  * sl-security: ftp1.scientificlinux.org <http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org>
> Skipping filters plugin, no data
> 146 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> 0 packages excluded due to repository protections
> Reading version lock configuration
> Setting up Install Process
> No package paraview available.
> Nothing to do

Ok: this probably means that paraview is not packaged for your GNU/Linux
distribution.

So, what you should do:
1/ get the paraview tarball from the paraview website:

     wget
http://www.paraview.org/files/v3.12/ParaView-3.12.0-RC2-Linux-i686.tar.gz

Untargz it:

     tar zxvf ParaView-3.12.0-RC2-Linux-i686.tar.gz

There should be a README file, and/or an INSTALL file: read them, obey
to the instructions. And it should be fine.

2/ ask your distro maintainers and/or paraview developers to package
paraview for your distro; this should not be too difficult, I guess,
since it is already packaged for a number of distro, including debian.
In the long term, this will allow paraview to be installed and updated
automagically on your distro.

À+
Pierre

PS: please, reply on the list, and not to the mail sender: so that
everyone can enjoy the discussion, add points, correct misteaks, etc.

Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 05 62 28 06 83
		06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue