[Paraview] PV 3.10.1 cell data to point data

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 18 11:04:00 EDT 2011

No, but I'm not sure that would be more accurate in any sense.

The cell values I usually see represent some field values integrated over
the volume of the cell.  In this case, the smaller the cell volume, the
more representative the integrated value is likely to be for any point in
the cell.  Thus, if I was to introduce weighting, I would use the inverse
of the cell volume.

I'm sure you can quickly come up with a counterexample why scaling by the
cell volume is the right thing to do.  And that's kind of the point.  The
conversion from cell data to point data is ambiguously defined and the
best solution depends on your data semantics and problem domain.  Although
simple averaging is not always ideal, it is fast and can be used as a low
order approximation as well as anything else.

-Ken