[Paraview] Problem after updating from Paraview 3.8.1 to Paraview 3.12

Jorge Gerardo Peña Pastor jorge.pena.pastor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 06:22:27 EST 2011

Ok, I'll fill the a bug report.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Biddiscombe, John A. <biddisco at cscs.ch> wrote:
> If you're developing an algorithm that changes the dimensions of an image and you want it to work inside paraview, then you'd best just give up and instead throw yourself from a tall building. Especially so if you convert images to meshes or vice versa (or back again to images later). The way structured extents are handled in paraview is so dreadfully poor that even when you get it right, you'll have great trouble if you try to run in parallel. (Some filters will add a ghost level to the information and allow the executives to extend the update extent, others will manually change the update extent inside RequestUpdateExtent and there is no consistency in behaviour).
>
> As you correctly point out, if your pipeline doesn't know the size of the extent until execution time due to some algorithmic twist, life becomes very hard indeed. I would say that getting extents to work wastes more of my time than any other task in paraview development.
To avoid modifying the extent inside the algorithm, I was thinking
whether combining my filter with vtkExtractVOI (passing the new extent
via an exposed property) could work out. What do you think?

> One thing that has changed is that one of the extent translators gets replaced early in the pipeline (when you use an image reader I think), and there's an option in the gui under setting to "use strict load balancing" - if you switch this on/off and try again, do you get any better results?
Well, I saw this tweak in some post, but as I don't use the default
Paraview application, my workflow is a bit different. However, I found
the relevant bits inside the Paraview source and locally modified it
and recompiled all the libraries. It didn't work.