[Paraview] Calculate the distance between many xyz points and a non-uniform 2D plane?

Ian Leslie lesl4685 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 26 21:37:20 EST 2011

Hi All,
      I would like to calculate the distance between a xyz point and a non-uniform 2D plane within ParaView 3.12.0.  The 2d plane was generated using xyz point data and the Delaunay2D filter.  The problem is that I need the difference in z normal between the plane and the point.

When I examine the plane from the 2D filter the xyz point information is the same as that of the points used to make the plane.   Is there any way make the plane have nearly continuous or at least  a whole lot more points so that there would exist a point in the plane very close to normal above the individual point I want to measure from?

Using the Ruler tool would work, but there are about a thousand points I would like to measure from, so it would also be very time consuming, tedious and potentially impossible to reproduce the same exact results.   I also have an 3D unstructured grid that could be manipulated, it has the same topology as the 2D plane, the same xyz points went into creating it using an outside program.

Open to any ideas and suggestions on ways to approach the problem.

Ian