[Paraview] infovis in paraview

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Nov 14 11:08:22 EST 2011

Is there a particular reason that you asked about compatibility with ParaView's views/representations ?
<

I know that overview (as a paraview client app) was killed off, so I was aware that support for some of the paraview related infovis would fall behind. However, I also know that the infovis development within vtk proper is still carrying on. So really I was curious if the paraview integration was itself the root of the problem, or whether it was other issues. If the vtk infovis views/representations are all paraview friendly, then in principle, given a bit of hard work, all the infovis stuff can be used in paraview. Around the time when paraview's view/representation stuff was overhauled (for the Nth time), the infovis stuff was dropped and I was really just curious if there is any fundamental reason why the graph layout views can't be integrated.

Experience tells me that doing parallel rendering with a lot of mixed volumes and transparent objects is nasty and doesn't work well. Since I know next to nothing about custom 'info view' rendering algorithms (in parallel), then I wondered if these were too hard to integrate etc etc (or perhaps if they were like the streaming view and needed a lot of custom info keys etc.)

If a replacement for Overview is on the cards, then please keep the list informed if/when anything becomes available

thanks

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch