[Paraview] Ghost data in parallel formats

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Mar 1 09:19:48 EST 2011

All readers should support ghost cells as long as:

- They support cell data
- They support unsigned char data

 (Note: you need ghost cells not points for this to work).

All you have to do is to add a cell array called vtkGhostLevels to
your data. Cells that are internal should have a value of 0, ghost
cells should have a value of 1 - or higher if you have multiple layers
of ghost cells.

Doing a quick grep in VTK/IO, I see that the legacy reader and the XML
reader support unsigned char. It doesn't look like EnSight supports
it. Xdmf supports it.

It would be relative easy to support signed integers by doing a
conversion at read time, if you guys think that it is important.