[Paraview] A bunch of novice user questions

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jan 27 13:29:45 EST 2011

2011/1/27 Paulo Alexandre Neves <paulo.alex.neves at gmail.com>:
> Dear all.
> My name is Paulo Neves and I am starting to use Paraview. I already did the
> great Kenneth Moreland tutorial.
> I downloaded and installed Paraview on a Mac OS X machine through the binary
> dmg, running in standalone mode. Version is 3.8.1.
> Here are my questions:
> When trying to open a .raw data set, such as the one in attach, I get
> errors, like
> ERROR: In /Users/partyd/Kitware/ParaView-3.8/src/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx,
> line 184
> vtkMPIImageReader (0x126f74e70): File operation failed:
> 18446744073709512510, ext: 0, 32, 0, 32, 0, 32

See below.

> The first thing that strikes me is where is /Users/partyd directory! I
> cannot find this on my machine.

That is an artifact of the release packaging processes, you can safely
ignore that. /Users/partyk/Kitware ... is just the directory where
that binary image was originally built and it gets encoded into things
like the error strings by the compiler.

> Second the dataset is 32x32x32, 8bit so why the errors?

Try extents of 0..31 0..31 0..31. You and ParaView are disagreeing on
whether to count cells or points. It works fine on my 3.8.1 binary
image.

> This leads me to another question: where is the source VTK files (like
> vtkImageReader) on my machine? Do I need to download the source and compile

The binaries do not include the source code. If you want to make c++
extensions to ParaView you have to download or git clone that
separately.

> it to have access to this? Later on I would like to create my own
> algorithms, so I will need to extend Paraview. Isn't the best way to write
> such code through VTK?

Yes. It is almost always better to learn VTK data structures and
filter concepts first, then wrap your VTK level code so that ParaView
will include it. At the core ParaView is just a front end for VTK .

> Sorry for my newbie questions and thanks for your patience!
> Kind regards,

No problem and good luck!