[Paraview] Parallel rendering of Text sources

Eelco van Vliet eelcovv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:43:52 EST 2011

Dear paraviewers,

I am trying render in parallel a scene + text. Unfortunately: the
TextSourceRepresentation of the text does not work in parallel (is works in
serial)

If I do

sm=servermanager
sm.Connect()
RenderView1 = sm.CreateRenderView()
t=sm.sources.Text(Text="HELLO")
timerep=sm.CreateRepresentation(t,RenderView1,proxyName="TextSourceRepresentation")
RenderView1.StillRender()

in shows a label in serial, but if a run the script on more the 2 cores, I
get the mesaage

+++++++
 Process id: 1 >> ERROR: In
/scratch/ParaView-3.8.1/VTK/Filtering/vtkDemandDrivenPipel     49 ine.cxx,
line 827
     50 vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0xdce1a0): Input for connection index 0 on
input port index     50  0 for algorithm vtkTransmitPolyDataPiece(0xdcca20)
is of type vtkTable, but a vtkPol     50 yData is required.
++++++++

An alternative way I found leads to the same problem if I do

 timerep=sm.rendering.TextSourceRepresentation(Input=t)
RenderView1.Representations.append(timerep)

I have found that more people had problems with TextSourceRepresentation in
parallel :

http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2008-April/007550.html

Apparently there was a bug found in 2008. Does anybody if in the new version
3.81 this bug is still present ? What would I need to do to fix the bug.

Any comments and hints appreciated !
Many thanks

Eelco