[Paraview] batch create thumbnails for multiple .vtk files?

Rob Nugen users-paraview.org at robnugen.com
Wed Jan 5 04:49:05 EST 2011

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one person
to visualize the .vtk files which have been collected from another,
and to assume among the powers of the server that the separate and
manual loading of each would cause undue stress upon the user, a
decent respect to the opinions of the list requires that they should
declare a script which impels the computer to do the visualization.

That's my creative way of asking if anyone has written a script to go
through thousands of .vtk files and create a screenshot of each.
During this project, we've created and collected a great number of
.vtk files, and want to essentially be able to make thumbnails of them
all so we know which should be saved and which can be discarded.

The optimal solution would allow specifying the camera angle to be run
for each screenshot.

Searching for "paraview 'save state'" (no outer quotes) seems to be in
the right direction.  I found
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ParaView/Python_Scripting but I don't see that
the same filters can be saved and applied to a different data set.

  Thanks!
  - Rob