[Paraview] Error when reading large XMLUnstructuredData file

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Tue Jan 4 12:16:39 EST 2011

Hi,

This is a known issue when a VTK XML file has an appended data section
larger than 2GB(http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6938).

To work around the problem you can look at writing out the file as any of
the following:

   - Partitioned VTK XML
   - Ensight Gold Binary
   - Exodus II ( Will require you too link to the exodus library found at
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/exodusii/ )

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Guenter Bartsch <
guenter.bartsch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> we have run into a problem reading a pretty large (3.6 GB) .vtu file.
> the file was produced by a fortran program that writes vtk data in the
> old ascii format which results in a 17G ascii file which takes very
> long to load in paraview (and results in an error message). so, we
> have written a converter program that reads the ascii file and outputs
> xml:
>

> int main(int argc, char *argp[])
> {
>  if (argc != 2) {
>    cerr << "usage: " << argp[0] << " <vtk filename>\n\n";
>    return 1;
>  }
>
>  char *filename = argp[1];
>
>  cout << "Input filename: " << filename << "\n";
>
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkUnstructuredGridReader> reader =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkUnstructuredGridReader>::New();
>  reader->SetFileName(filename);
>
>  char *ofilename = "foo.vtu";
>  cout << "Output filename: " << ofilename << "\n";
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter> writer =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter>::New();
>  writer->SetFileName(ofilename);
>  writer->SetInputConnection(reader->GetOutputPort());
>  writer->Write();
>
>  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
> }
>
> this program runs fine. now, if i open the resulting file in paraview,
> i run into this error as soon as i hit apply:
>
> ERROR: In
/opt/paraview-3.8.1/src/ParaView-3.8.1/VTK/IO/vtkXMLUnstructuredDataReader.cxx,

http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

Robert Maynard