[Paraview] Saving a dataset as a parallel output

Jesus Pulido jpulido at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 22 18:06:27 EDT 2011

I am trying to save a generated dataset as a .pvti file using PV 3.10.1.
First I generate a dataset by using the Sources->Wavelet function and
setting the whole extents to 0,255,0,255,0,255. The generated dataset will
contain 1 scalar value and turns out to be ~68M in resident memory. If I'm
running a client->server connection, and my server is running N number of
nodes, I should be able to save as a .pvti file outputting N number of
files. I go through the Save Data process, choose a .pvti file, leave the
settings as default (Nothing checked, set to Appended) and save my data. The
data is then saved into N number of files with all the files being the same
size (~68M) and contain the entire dataset per file. Is this behavior
expected? I would presume that the data would be split accross N number of
files instead of having N number of files with each file containing all of
the data. Thanks!

--Jesus