[Paraview] PassData() question

Fred Fred stan1313 at hotmail.fr
Wed Oct 6 15:51:25 EDT 2010

Of course I suspected that a shallow copy was performed, and I explained
 to my students that it was to save memory and avoid duplicated of
information in the pipeline, but when I looked at the code of the PassData() method, it was not clear if "arrayIndex = this->AddArray(dsa->GetAbstractArray(i));" actually performed a shallow copy or not.
So I tried to do a deep copy but I surely made a mistake since nothing happen and finally I decided to ask you concerning the first issue.
So thanks to confirm that a shallow copy was the reason of my first problem.
Now please help a little bit more to fix this one:

  // since pass data makes shallow copies, make a deep copy of the normals
  vtkFloatArray *normals = vtkFloatArray::New();
  normals->DeepCopy(input->GetPointData()->GetNormals());

  float *coords = normals->GetPointer(0);

  for (int i=0 ; i<output->GetNumberOfPoints() ; i++,coords+=3)
    *coords = 0;

  output->GetPointData()->AddArray(normals);

As far as I read in the VTK doc, adding an array with the same name as an existing one will replace it by the new one, so I expected that "normals" would replace the existing array of normals, but I am probably wrong...