[Paraview] paraviewweb: separate pipeline control from rendering client

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Tue Nov 30 14:10:04 EST 2010

Hi Vlad,

ParaViewWeb as a framework has all the capabilities that you need and
want. The only thing right now, is that the provided web applications
are made for demonstration purpose and might not fully fit your
expectations.

But it is true and fairly simple to have one application for the
teacher and one application for the students.
For the code example, if you managed to install and deploy ParaViewWeb
on one of your computer, you can look at some of our examples.
In fact, in the Administration page of the PWService, you are able to
view the content of a running session, which is typically what you
want for the student application. Therefore, you will just need to
make a standalone application based on that web page.

For your information, here is the content of that page, where I
removed the unnecessary part...

    <head>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="js/ParaViewWeb.js"></script>
    </head>

                <!-- Try the javascrip rendering here -->

        <script type="text/javascript">
            var serverUrl =
'http://paraviewweb.kitware.com:80/PWService';// MUST BE CHANGED
            var sessionId = '4063255';
                     // MUST BE CHANGED

            var paraview = new Paraview(serverUrl);
            paraview.connectToSession(sessionId);
            var viewId = paraview.CreateIfNeededRenderView().__selfid__;

            var renderer = new JavaScriptRenderer("renderer", serverUrl);
            renderer.init(sessionId, viewId);
            renderer.bindToElementId("web-renderer");
            renderer.setSize('400','400');
            renderer.start();
        </script>

And we are working to make ParaView itself compatible with
collaboration workflow so ideally the teacher will be able to use
ParaView desktop and the student could go to a web page in order to
share the rendering with the teacher.

Thanks for your interest,

Seb