[Paraview] vtkTable and LineChart

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Nov 29 16:47:42 EST 2010

Thanks for more info.

   I do in fact have "Time" for one of my plots so that is easy to
achieve. I just had to correctly set the name of the column from "Time
Values" to "Time" and that should work. The other plots probably are
more difficult at this point. I have Stress/Strain data where I need
the Stress on the x-axis and strain on the y-axis. I do not think I am
understanding how to set some value on the vtkTable class that when
finally passed over to the GUI layer will set the some arbitrary
column as the x-axis. I thought the proxy stuff was all done on the
GUI side of things? I guess I need just a bit more hand holding.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio

On Nov 29, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:

> Sorry, yes, I was in VTK world. There are a few column names with
> special meanings to ParaView that are hard coded in the proxy. You can
> get at the chart object if you wish to manipulate it directly, but you
> should be able to achieve everything you need to through the proxies.
>
> Marcus
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM, pat marion <pat.marion at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>> I think by default it will plot a line for each column in the
>> table.  It
>> will use the cell value as the Y value, and the row index as the X
>> value.
>> To change the behavior, you have to change two representation
>> properties:
>>

>> rep.UseIndexForXAxis = 0
>>
>> rep.XArrayName = 'foo'
>>
>> This will plot all all the columns, except use the "foo" column as
>> the X
>> values.  That means the line for the "foo" column is still
>> displayed, and it
>> will be a diagonal line.
>>
>> I just looked, and Paraview has one cheat hard coded- if there is a
>> column
>> named "Time" or "arc_length" then it will be used automatically for
>> the X
>> axis.
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Michael Jackson
>> <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the idea. I was trying to figure out the flow from
>>> reading the
>>> data into displaying the data hoping to reveal some sort of
>>> default or
>>> something. I was going to generate some fake CSV data and see how
>>> that
>>> reader does things hoping the CSV reader takes the first column as
>>> the
>>> x-axis.