[Paraview] vtk internals: vtkUnstructuredGrid versus vtkPolyData and vtkImageData

Dan Lussier dtlussier at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 15:51:43 EST 2010

I had a question about the nature of the underlying VTK data.

In my work I am often visualizing particle data, which I currently have in
XMDF files with Polyvertex topology.  When I load the files into PV, the
data ends up being represented by a vtkUnstructuredGrid.  What is the
difference between vtkUnstructuredGrid versus vtkPolyData?  I know that both
inherit from abstract vtkPointSet so they are generally fairly
interchangeable as most filters appear to require only a vtkPointSet.  Are
there any filters that would take one but not the other?

Also:

Some filters I am looking to use want a vtkPointSet input, but I have
vtkImageData (via XMDF 3DCoRectMesh topology).  What would be the best way
to make the conversion in Paraview?

Many thanks.

Dan Lussier