[Paraview] selection of points in paraview

Karl König kkoenig11 at web.de
Sat Nov 27 14:59:39 EST 2010

Luca,

There is no freehand selection of points in ParaView nor - to my
knowledge - an easy way to add/remove points from a selection using the
mouse (plus some control/shift/alt/apple/whatever key) or to do
intersections of selections as it is possible in a graphics editor.
There actually exists a petition at UserVoice for this:
http://paraview.uservoice.com/forums/11350-general/suggestions/310404-non-rectangular-selection
You may want to go ahead and vote for such a feature to be implemented.

You might be able to accomplish what you want as follows:
Use the Calculator filter to expose the coordinates as a data array.
Then run a query (menu Edit - Find Data) on your data set using either
point IDs or coordinate values to select points.

You can subsequently modify the selection by either running more
queries on the extracted selection or with the Selection Inspector
(View menu). Activate the labels (Selection Inspector - Display Style -
Point Label. Tick the Visible checkbox.) and remove any point from the
selection you are not interested in by deleting its ID from the list.

There is actually a wiki page available on data selection in ParaView:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Data_Selection

It might also be possible to select points from the python shell, but
that's something I've never tried myself.

Karl