[Paraview] Normals consistency on a Multi-block dataset of surfaces

Richard GRENON richard.grenon at onera.fr
Fri Nov 26 06:52:50 EST 2010

Richard GRENON wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Could someone tell me if there is a simple way to get Normals
> consistency over a multi-block dataset that contains only structured
> surfaces grids?
>
> Here is my problem: I have a multi-zone Tecplot file that contains the
> skin of the right part of an aircraft, so the skin is NOT closed in
> the symmetry plane. The skin is a collection of structured IxJ ordered
> surface grids. The orientation of the surface grids are not
> consistent, some grids having normals pointing outward, other grids
> having normals pointing inward, and I need all normals pointing the
> same direction for Surface Flow integration.
>
> The Tecplot reader gives a multi-block dataset and I am using these
> filters for rendering:
>
> Tecplot reader->Extract Surface->Generate Surface Normals
>
> The Generate Surface Normals filter is used with Consistency property
> on (the default).
>
> Also rendering with light is OK, adding the NormalGlyph filter shows
> that normals are still inconsistent, each surface grid keeping its
> orientation, and using the Surface Flow filter with any vector gives
> bad results.
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion.
>
> Best regards.

Shame on me!
I have found the (very simple) Solution! Just add the "Merge Blocks"
filter between the Tecplot reader and the "Extract Surface" filter, and
it gives an unstructured grid. Now the Consistency property of the
"Generate Normals" is taken into account and "Surface flow" gives good
results.

I hope that this will help other people.

--
 Richard GRENON
 ONERA
 mailto:Richard.Grenon at onera.fr